What Your Puppy Should Never Eat

Dogs are curious creatures, motivated by food and driven to be part of the family pack. It’s natural that they want to eat what they’re eating — or they’ll be tempted to do things they shouldn’t, like climb into the kitchen counter looking tasty.

The accident happened. You turn back for a second, and it’s a lot of time for your puppy to pick up something he shouldn’t. Some human foods cause poisoning in dogs or can hurt them in other ways, which is why it’s important to monitor your furry friend as much as possible.

This is a list of common foods or medications that should not be eaten by your dog. If you think your dog is consuming some, call the ASPCA’s poison control hotline, or place yours dog’s health insurance for good use and head to your local emergency vet as soon as possible.

Animal Bones

Bones of cooked animals can crack or cause blockages in your dog’s digestive tract, causing internal injuries that require surgery to repair. even Raw bones can be dangerous if they become too small, especially if your dog chews and swallows them. It’s best to give your dog a treat and chew designed specifically for the dog’s companion and monitor them when they enjoy them.


Register and get answers to your questions.

Onion, Garlic, and Garlic

Best of all, your dog can experience gastrointestinal irritation after consuming these vegetables and herbs. Worst of all, they can cause red blood cell damage and anemia. If you plant these plants in your earthen garden, make sure they are out of your dog’s reach, and dispose of garlic peel and onion pieces in a way that your dog cannot access. Consumption of this in large quantities definitely need a visit to a veterinarian.

Wine and Raisins

This fruit is a delicious snack for people, but it contains toxic substances that can cause kidney failure in dogs. The number of dogs you accidentally ingest before it is considered an emergency depends on the size of your dog and other factors, so be sure to ask your animal about treatment options.


Although some milk chocolate is likely to simply cause digestive discomfort, real chocolate, like dark chocolate, baking chocolate, semisweet chocolate chips, and more, contains methylxanthine found in cacao seeds. Methylxanthines consumed by dogs can cause vomiting and diarrhea, excessive thirst and urination, panting, abnormal heart rhythms, hyperactivity, seizures, tremors, and death.


Coffee, such as chocolate, contains methylxanthines and should not be given to your pet. Caffeine in coffee can also be harmful.


In small amounts, competitive -based products may not harm your pet, but can cause upset and diarrhea, which are all unpleasant. Coconut water contains a lot of potassium, so you should not give it to your dog.

Artificial sweeteners

With more and more people switching to artificial sweeteners to avoid the extra calories and carbohydrates that come from sugar, pets are more at risk of accidentally eating that they shouldn’t. One of these sweeteners is xylitol. When xylitol is consumed by dogsThe pancreas releases excess insulin, which can lead to liver failure and hypoglycemia.


Drinking any alcohol can cause decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, abnormal blood acidity, tremor, vomiting, diarrhea, and death. Call your veterinarian if you suspect your pet is consuming alcohol.

Macadamia nuts

Signs of macadamia nut intake include weakness, vomiting, depression, tremors, and hypothermia. These symptoms appear within 12 hours after eating and can last up to 48 hours.

Corn on the Cob

Although not toxic to dogs, there are different dangers present in corn. If your dog touches the cob, they can experience obstruction or blockage. Both will require immediate veterinary care and possibly surgery to prevent ruptures in the gastrointestinal tract.


Acorns and oak leaves contain tannins that are harmful to dogs. Acorn poisoning, called Quercus poisoning, can cause stomach upset, kidney failure, and sometimes death. If your yard has oak trees that produce seeds, you are going to pick up and keep your pets away. Teach your dog the “leave it” command, and work on the streets to prevent your dog from eating anything that shouldn’t be on the sidewalk or streets.


Because dogs have more cannabinoid receptors in their brains than humans, the effects of marijuana are more dramatic and potentially toxic when compared to humans. If your dog is consuming marijuana products, contact your veterinarian directly for advice.


Uncooked yeast dough can constantly increase in your pet’s digestive system, causing gas accumulation and causing a condition called bloating. Bloat can also cause twisting of the gastrointestinal tract and become a life-threatening emergency. Ethanol in yeast also acts as a type of alcohol in your dog, otherwise — not for pet consumption.

Pits of fruit

Fruits in the genus Prunus, such as cherry, nectarine, plum, and peach, contain cyanide. When your pet has to chew and swallow multiple holes to cause cyanide poisoning, there is a greater risk for intestinal obstruction, which requires surgical intervention.

Human Medicine

Human and animal medications are formulated differently, and some human medications can cause serious health problems in your pet. Always talk to your veterinarian before giving your pet any medication.

Note that this is not an exhaustive list. Many other human foods or environmental objects can be toxic or harmful to dogs. Always talk to your veterinarian before giving your pet “human food” or medications.

Leave a Comment